BOX 1. Knowledge Domains
• Determine readiness for electronic environ-
• Establish and implement a process for vendor
• Negotiate contracts with vendors
• Identify goals, scope, risks, and key members of
the project team
• Evaluate the feasibility of a project
• Utilize common project management tools
• Design and implement quality improvement
• Develop and implement policies and proce-
• Ensure compliance with federal regulations
• Recognize roles and relationships in health-
Training and Education
• Perform needs assessment to determine train-
• Evaluate and select training programs according to user needs.
• Implement training or educational programs.
• Evaluate effectiveness of training.
• Manage the design of the environment for
viewing and interpreting images.
• Evaluate the human-computer interface.
• Determine optimal image flow and implement process that ensures data integrity.
• Import and export outside studies into a PACS.
• Assess storage and archiving needs and deter-
mine appropriate architecture.
• Design and specify network architecture.
• Implement and maintain appropriate hardware and software.
• Retrieve information from databases for
operations, quality assurance, and planning
• Identify and implement IT standards.
• Develop appropriate replacement schedule.
• Determine requirements for optimal, cost
effective system capacity, and throughput.
• Plan disaster recovery and business continuity
• Use problem management and system avail-
ability tools and strategies
• Plan and evaluate data migration procedures.
• Maintain data security and individual privacy.
• Assess imaging modality capabilities.
• Supervise modality integration.
• Establish a program for image display quality
• Recognize hazards specific to the healthcare
• Identify and implement medical imaging
• Apply appropriate IHE guidelines.
• Integrate image architecture into organization’s long-range plan.